GENERAL SUMMARY: Assist in managing the day-to-day dock activities of the salvage department. Coordinates activities between dock, store, and dispatch in order to safely and efficiently meet the needs of Goodwill Industries of the Columbia Willamette (GICW) stores and other departments.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain constant, effective communication with dispatch to determine priority of tasks and ensure that transportation equipment needs are met.
- Maintain rapport with other departments, vendors and supported stores to ensure quality service and support.
- Act as liaison for your department when working with outside agencies.
- Effectively manage personnel, fiscal and logistical resources based on mission requirements.
- Responsible for operation and maintenance of all equipment in a timely manner.
- Manage shipping, receiving and storage of goods gathered during the normal conduct of missions.
- Prepare and maintain all necessary reports and records in conjunction with daily operations.
- Contact approved vendors to get bids, coordinate needs and correct problems.
- Conduct forklift training and certification for employees according to GICW requirements. Maintain certification records.
- Some dispatch and office work can be expected during peak seasons
- Responsible for recruiting, hiring, training and managing employees so as to provide an efficient and effective work force.
- Responsible for timely intervention, discipline and appropriate documentation for all employees.
- Develop and implement work plan and schedules.
- Approve vacation, schedule modifications and non-standard requests.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must have tractor/ trailer, forklift and general warehouse equipment knowledge.
- Must have knowledge of transportation/warehousing and DOT equipment maintenance requirements.
- Must have two years supervisory experience.
- Must have a valid driver’s license which reflects a driving record that meets GICW standards.
- Must be certified to operate a forklift according to GICW requirements.
- Must be able to demonstrate upon request functional literacy and numeric proficiency.
- Must have command of the English language sufficient to verbally communicate with the general public.
All Dockworkers, Receiving and Distribution Clerks and Hazard Material Specialist.
- Work is primarily performed in a warehouse environment on an open dock. May perform work at a donation site or a trailer/truck unloading site.
- Exposed to all weather conditions, moving trucks and forklifts, and moderate noise levels.
- Long periods of standing or walking.
- Must wear gloves, leather work shoes and other personal protective equipment as required.
- Moderate adaptability required: Work environment occasionally hectic (fast paced) with irregular short deadlines and a limited number of critical or unusual situations.
- DOT Strength Classification – Medium.