GENERAL SUMMARY: Responsible for sorting various categories of household waste and refuse into hazardous or recyclable materials based upon federal, state and GICW requirements. Act as point-of-contact for problems involving handling and disposal of material gathered by Transportation/Collection workers.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Properly sort household hazardous waste materials into supplied containers.
- Sort out recyclable materials and dispose of them in proper containers.
- Move full containers to staging areas and replenish working area with empty containers.
- Operate forklift to assist with loading or unloading.
- Prepare records and reports as requested.
- Read and know content of household hazardous waste procedures.
- Maintain work area in a safe, clean and orderly fashion.
- Keep the Salvage & Recycling Manager informed of problems and plausible solutions.
- Train transportation and donation attendant employees on select subjects concerning hazardous materials
- Foster and demonstrate a positive team environment
- Must be able to demonstrate upon request functional literacy and numeric proficiency.
- Must have command of the English language sufficient to verbally communicate with the general public.
- Must pass a drug screening test and background check
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation
- Work is primarily performed in a warehouse environment on an open dock. May perform work at a donation site or a trailer/truck unloading site.
- Exposed to all weather conditions, moving trucks and forklifts, and moderate noise levels.
- Work involves sorting of household products which may be unlabeled and/or potential hazardous chemicals.
- Driving hazards as a passenger in vehicles.
- Long periods of standing or walking.
- Moderate adaptability required: Work environment occasionally hectic (fast paced) with irregular short deadlines and a limited number of critical or unusual situations.
- DOT Strength Classification – Medium.