GENERAL SUMMARY: Responsible for the movement of donated goods, corporate purchases and other materials into and out of confined trailer space and dock area in a safe and expeditious manner, supervise work and assist workers engaged in loading and unloading of trucks and trailers.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Load and unload trucks and trailers utilizing hand trucks, pallet jacks and other material handling equipment.
- Sort materials into salvage and reusable categories.
- Assist truck drivers with loading, unloading, site clean-up, and safe vehicle backing.
- Load trash compactor with unsalvageable materials, compact and discard.
- Maintain inventory controls as determined by immediate supervisor.
- Maintain work area in a safe, clean and orderly fashion.
- Operate forklift to assist with loading or unloading when necessary.
- Perform duties of Dock Worker I or II when volume and/or absenteeism requires.
- Responsible for orienting, training and coaching assigned personnel.
- Schedule clean-ups, site switches, store support, and dock work based on management guidance and operational/seasonal trends in the most efficient manner possible.
- Prepare and maintain all necessary reports and records in conjunction with daily operations.
- Direct the safety and security efforts for personnel and facilities under your control, including key and lock control.
- Coordinate with stores, vendors and ADC personnel to plan resource moves.
- Provide training for forklift operation as needed.
- Occasionally work with public when retrieving donations from sites.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must have two years supervisory experience or one year GICW on-the-job experience.
- Must be able to function independently in a work setting.
- Must be certified to operate a forklift according to GICW requirements.
- Must be able to demonstrate upon request functional literacy and numeric proficiency.
- Must have command of the English language sufficient to verbally communicate with the general public.
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: Dock Worker I and II
- Work is primarily performed in a warehouse environment on an open dock. May perform work at a donation site or a trailer/truck unloading site.
- Exposed to all weather conditions, moving trucks and forklifts, and moderate noise levels.
- Long periods of standing or walking.
- Must wear gloves, leather work shoes and other personal protective equipment as required.
- Moderate adaptability required: Work environment occasionally hectic (fast paced) with irregular short deadlines and a limited number of critical or unusual situations.
- DOT Strength Classification – Medium.